H/T to Resilient News. Backyard chicken farming has become popular and is growing one chick at a time. Here’s a quick run down of the top ten chickens for egg production over at The Weekend Prepper. Yum!
Top 10 Egg Laying Chickens
If you are looking to build a more self sufficient lifestyle, having several egg laying chickens is a great way to get a reliable supply of eggs – a great source of protein and nutrients.
Chickens lay eggs all year long – with really productive hens laying more than 200 eggs a year. So if you choose your breeds carefully, you will be well supplied with eggs with only a few chickens in your flock.
Let’s take a look at 10 popular and prolific egg layers.
- Black Sexlink – This chicken is a cross between a Barred Rock hen and a Rhode Island Red cock. It is a pretty gentle chicken and a prolific egg layer. It lays large brown eggs and typical production is approximately 240 eggs per year per bird.
- Red Sexlink – Created by breeding a Rhode Island Red male and a Rhode Island White female, this chicken is very common in commercial breeding operations. It lays large brown eggs and its typical production is about 240 eggs per year.
- White Leghorn – This chicken is a great egg layer but a bit of a nervous breed. It lays approximately 250 white eggs per year.
- California White – This chicken is an excellent producer of large white eggs. They are known to lay a whopping 300 eggs per year.
- California Gray – Like the white, this chicken will deliver a massive 300 large white eggs per year.